My own phone number is now spam texting me

Photo by Chris Welch / The Verge

This morning, I received a very blatant spam text offering me “a little gift” for supposedly paying my phone bill. Normally I’d groan, roll my eyes, and quickly delete such a thing, but there was something different about this particular message: it was spoofed as coming from my own phone number. As best my iPhone could tell, it was a legitimate message from me to myself. Tapping into the sender details took me to my own contact card.

Equally frustrating was that I had no obvious way of reporting the alarming spoof to my carrier, Verizon Wireless. Spoofed calls and texts are nothing new; most people face a constant deluge of spam calls that appear on caller ID as from a number similar to their own. But this was the first time I actually...

Continue reading…



source https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/28/22999719/spam-texts-own-phone-number-verizon-att-tmobile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a world first, China lands a spacecraft gently on the Moon’s far side

Snap suspends two anonymous messaging apps after cyberbullying lawsuit